[Stoves] How other tests calculate with remaining charcoal ... was Re: Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Jan 22 21:16:16 CST 2017

Dear Paul

As far as I know, in general all tests of thermal performance such as power stations, fixed boilers, heating stoves and cooking stoves in the formal sector treat solid resides with energy content remaining as a 'mechanical loss'. That is the definition of a mechanical: unburned fuel that could in theory have been burned ‎but was not, and is left at the end. The exceptions to this, in terms of rating the thermal efficiency, are the WBT and it's derivatives such as the Enhanced Precision Test Protocol and it's later evolution.

The 1982 test devised by Bois de Feu (I just checked) ‎used the same deduction however they did not call the metric the thermal efficiency, because it is not the thermal efficiency. They called it the Percentage Heat Utilised. PHU was still a popular term when I joined the stove list. The VITA test used the term before and after modifications by Baldwin.

It a technically correct PHU calculation is made, which would include counting all the energy in the solid residue, not just the 'recoverable' portion of it, it is the same as the heat transfer efficiency.

There is an excellent chart of heat flows from the fuel fed to its intimation destinations in the Zhang Y 2014 paper. I posted it to this group some months ago. ‎You may recall Prof Lloyd complimenting it. The students spent a long time on that getting it complete and sectioned to serve as a guide for designers of test methods. Any energy in the residual char comes in two parts: unburned fuel, and heat in the mass. The ash is very hot when it is pulled out of a big boiler and this is accounted as well (the list is comprehensive!)

As to the reporting of char production as a conscious act, which is what I think you are looking for, this is handled in two ways, ‎mass produced over mass of fuel (wet or dry as you choose) and then the energy content over the fuel energy (wet or dry). All of these are % values and there is nothing subtracted from the denominators.

In order to decide on a calculation you have to be clear on what you want to report. Is char a benefit? Is it a benefit for this same stove? Is it a benefit for a different stove? Is it a benefit ‎as biochar to bury? Is it a benefit as sequestered carbon?

Is the energy in the char a benefit? That implies the fuel mass is really a proxy ‎for the energy in it so the questions are: is it fuel energy for this stove or another one?

Nurhuda's stove that makes then burns char simply divides the fuel into two portions and burns it almost completely so it is fair to evaluate it as a single burn even though it has two clear, separate combustion periods and hardware.

It would not be appropriate to 'elevate' the cooking efficiency by deducting the char energy from the fuel energy fed in during the first portion, and then in addition, add the energy delivered to the pot from the char divided by the char energy. That would give a really erroneous overall rating.

‎So, how would we approach the same situation when the two sections of the overall cooking were performed on different stoves? The calculation should be identical but not added together because now there are two different stoves to rate.

If you are not trying to calculate the heat transfer efficiency, there is no subtraction from the fuel ‎energy in the denominator. No one rating and comparing fuel consumptions needs or wants to know the heat transfer efficiency because that is an internal metric that is not considered because it does not cross the box encompassing the combustion system.

The PHU metric is not the same as any normal calculation of the thermal efficiency because it only considers part of the energy in the residue. It certainly does not represent the fuel consumption which is my main point. Changing the name didn't improve the calculation and doesn't make it relevant to fuel savings nor the values of char produced.

In conclusion I can add that I am not sure when the PHU metric was renamed to thermal efficiency. There are many definitions of thermal efficiency so it is easily misunderstood. For rating fuel efficiency all solid residue is treated as a mechanical loss. Energy lost to unburned gases (also deducted for the heat transfer efficiency) is called a chemical loss. The heat in the ash is mechanical. Evaporated volatiles are chemial. Dropped fuel particles are mechanical. Raw fuel that is too small to be worth sending back to the supply is also a mechanical loss. In power stations they consider all these things very carefully. We can't just 'make stuff up' and declare that it has value and validity because we appropriate a popular term.

It would be most helpful if you could answer the questions I pose above because that is the best way to arrive an ‎accurate and broadly accepted answer to the char questions.

Crispin,

Nice comment.

Your response passes the test about saying something truthful and useful.

It did not pass the test of addressing the question that I asked.  The question remains,
I would greatly appreciate some knowledgeable comments about how THOSE OTHER TESTS handle the issue of charcoal that is left in the stoves.   Is there some agreement between those many tests?
Maybe there is a problem with my question.   Or maybe nobody actually knows how remaining charcoal is treated in those tests.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu<mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com<http://www.drtlud.com>