[Stoves] News 23 Jan 2017: Scrapping the worst pollution-emitting stoves could prevent 22.5 million early deaths by 2100

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 20:44:45 CST 2017

Frank:

Bingo!!

I think you got it right -- and it is all "contextual", as Cecil would say.

You have targeted some serious errors in the IWA work so far - as far as I
can tell, their test methods not only ignore chemical data and operational
characteristics (feeding the fuel, a surrogate perhaps for controllability,
a critical feature), they also simply cook up "air quality" based on lab
test emission rates. [Well, TC 285 may not do this; their error is
accepting emission rates targets in the first place, which WHO derives from
some spurious backcasting of burden of disease to exposures to
concentrations to emission profiles, not rates. It is the BAMG that then
takes emission rates to air quality via spurious "box modeling". IWA should
not have endorsed WHO's PM2.5 emissions rate nonsense in the first place.]

Doing things "right" to please the cook is one thing, to please WHO (who?
what business do they have?) is another.

WHO/BAMG/EPA will cook up only "academic stoves" (like Hyman Rickover's
"academic reactor".)

Blessed by academics so they can go on with GACC blather about "complete
and irreversible" transition to "clean cookstoves" (on which precision is
lacking, hence the charade of WBT).

I would add "thermal storage" as an option, or a small fridge can serve the
purpose -- cook a lot once a day or every third day, cooked food is "stored
cooking energy". (With UN blather about "Sustainable Energy for All" - our
UNF Inc. friends are promoting universal electricity access after all.

Or with electricity for all, some 20-30% of the household cooking energy
demand otherwise sought to be satisfied with biomass stoves would be shaved
off by electricity in and outside the household.

The world changes, but some stovers are still stuck on WBT. Or stuck in
1970s mindset. (I give them credit - after all, some of the world's poor do
still live in 19th Century conditions when it comes to fuels.)

Nikhil
---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080