[Stoves] News 23 Jan 2017: Scrapping the worst pollution-emitting stoves could prevent 22.5 million early deaths by 2100

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Thu Jan 26 21:21:01 CST 2017

Nikhil,

The surrogate is all about learning more about the conditions for the best combustion. Then using it to ‘read’ what is taking place and monitoring adjustments that are made. I think more can be done measuring the gases just before the secondary. Not after. And the surrogate allows for very accurate measurements as the solid turns to a gas - IF IT WORKS!

It is obvious (to me) that the limiting factor now is providing a homogenous fuel for the stove. A lot can be improved if the available fuel is sized and moisture controlled over anything else we do. Once that is done the next step is study the combustion.

We cannot make and present a test procedure now. We have more work to do and that means money and a good lab to do the right work. Labs also need to stay in business and that means to have samples received, work done and payments made. That is why I do not suggest we give up on the WBT until we assign the labs another task to do regarding stove testing. It will not be good to lose the stove testing labs. There will be plenty of work for them to do if what I am thinking ever takes place.

With all the modern testing equipment I believe we can take biomass stoves to a new level. Once we know what gas mix we want and the adjustments needed to achieve that we can really fine tune these little stoves. But just a pipe dream?

Regards

Frank

(831) 246-0417 cell
(831) 771-0126 office