[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Jan 27 02:24:36 CST 2017

Dear Jiddu

I want to take a moment to correct an impression you left in your timely message about the problems you have experience as a physicist and stove tester with the WBT.

“The WBT protocol is unreproducible. In my opinion largely due to its vague boiling and simmering phases, where I believe something like cooking power (in Watts) is much more suitable.

I am, like Camilla, a supporter of the CSI Indonesia protocol. It's repoducible and relevant. However, it is only relevant for Indonesia and hence more relevant protocols need to be developed.”

It is a misunderstanding to call the Indonesian cooking sequence a ‘protocol’. That is a burn sequence, to be exact, and is not ‘part of the CSI protocol’.

This must be understood clearly it has been widely and erroneously mentioned that if the test sequence (burn cycle, in outer jurisdictions) sis changed, it constitutes a ‘different protocol’. This is a misunderstanding.

A testing protocol sets out what to measure and how well to do that, how to calculate and what to report, and in what form. It is not something to do with the sequence of operations of the stove that are being measured. You can have 1 protocol and 1000 tests sequences representing 1000 meals or patterns of use.

So in order to use the CSI protocol, all you need is a relevant use sequence starting with ignition and ending at some point. After the sequence (previously described) is validated as representing what you are trying to emulate you can use it to make assessments of how the stoves will perform on that basis.

The protocol remains the same.

This is one reason why the same protocol can be used to teste low pressure boilers, space heating stoves, cooking functions or all three at the same time.