[Stoves] Biomass stoves v. PV-induction cooking (re: Frank)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 11:04:48 CST 2017

Frank:

Lovely to hear from you about electric cooking making small biomass stoves
obsolete. I too hope so, but don't know if PV prices will come down soon
enough. Of course, storage is another issue. But the very availability of
grid electricity means that some (difficult to predict) portion of the
thermal energy demand does shift away from biomass depending on the price
of electricity and the capacity to finance small electrical appliances
(kettles, irons,toasters, rice cookers, stew pots, all around $10 bulk
ex-factory).

I was asked by an ex-ITDG person in 2010 if PV-induction stoves could
become commercial reality. I said they could, for upper-income folks, in
about five years. I think the time has now come for aid staff, NGOs, fancy
tourist spots, to consider PV-induction if rest of their electricity is
also coming from PV or PV pico-grids anyway.

I don't think the mass market will be ready for another ten years.

Larger-scale biomass stoves may find a market quicker and in some areas may
also grow market share predictably. Higher utilization rates and
specialization of cooking tasks -- a limited number of products, which is
fine compared to home cooking. (Why, I just picked up a menu from an eatery
nearby that specializes in certain Indian breads I can't cook. I have heard
of a community kitchen around here where such breads are routinely
delivered to the elderly in that particular community. For all I know,
their young'uns may also have started bread - roti - contracts.)

For those kinds of stoves, with homogeneous solid biomass fuels, the WBT
may well make sense and may even produce lab results that predict field
performance rather well if adjusted for particular cooking tasks.

For the usual "small biomass stoves" for "rural poor households", with no
specificity of fuel and other variables except in labs, I think the time is
ripe to junk both the performance metrics specified by WHO - fuel
efficiency and emission rates (CO, PM 2.5) as well as the test protocol
itself.

Lab fanatics can continue to do what they have done but labs themselves
need to be equipped and trained for new performance metrics and new test
protocols suitable to specific contexts, uses, and users.

Time to junk it all. May dead wood emit carbon some other ways.

Nikhil

---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080