[Stoves] Biomass stoves v. PV-induction cooking (re: Frank)

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 13:44:55 CST 2017

List,

As someone who has worked with biomass gasification and village scale
electricity generation - I would be very interested to hear how exactly
rural electrification to the point of providing perhaps 2kW per household,
to replace biomass stoves is going to work?

We are currently at the point where we could provide about 50W per
household - so it would take a revolution in cooking appliance technology
to achieve this.  However I believe that "slow cookers" are about 70-200W,
and could be run throughout the day from a suitable sized pv panel.

If, possiblly combined with pressure cooking, something could be achieved.
But these modern techniques of cooking are so counter-cultural, that they
would struggle to gain traction.

I'm at ETHOS this weekend if anyone wants to chat.

Ken