[Stoves] Chinese stove photo sequence

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Sat Jan 28 17:20:24 CST 2017

On 28 Jan 2017 at 12:02, Todd Albi
wrote:

> Neil is using an in-insulated TLUD, it appears he places fuel in horizontal
> layers, rather than inserting it vertically as design intention.

Please can you reference 'design
intention'?  These stoves came with no
instructions as to how to use them
whatsoever, and do not have to be used
as TLUDs and therefore only will be if a
stove user realises they can be.  I have
tried stacking fuel vertically, but it is
not how the fuel naturally wants to lie
unless you cut pieces more or less the
length of the depth of the pot.  If you
chuck or place handfuls of short pieces
into the stove and shake it to make it
pack down, you get horizontal layering
automatically with maybe the odd piece
vertically alligned.

> Vertical
> insertion should not require reloading fuel bed for the minimalist cooking
> that stove was designed for (trekking stove).  We find stove operates more
> efficiently when loaded vertically.

I'll revisit this then to see if I can bear
this out.  How do you prepare found fuel
for loading the trecking stove this way?

> Obviously the higher the moisture
> content of fuel, or humidity levels are going to impact combustion
> outcomes.
>
> Generally speaking, an insulated natural draft TLUD will handle damper fuel
> more efficiently than an uninsulated TLUD.  As well as an insulated fan
> TLUD is going to produce less char than a natural draft TLUD, due to
> greater secondary mixing.  Our stoves with identical sized combustion
> chambers that produce more char are less efficient transferring heat to pot.
>
> All of our low mass insulated gasifier models can be used with damper fuel,
> however the higher the moisture content, impurities in fuel, or humidity
> are going to all impact emissions escaping from stack or combustion
> chamber.  We can cook with green fuel, however now we have smoke.  That is
> unpreventable when using high moisture content fuel in a simple cook stove
> design.

Except I would claim with my bottom
wet layer.  If you look at my photos of
that stage, the flame was so invisible in
ambient light I had to shield the light
for the camera to pick it up, suggesting
a very clean burn.  There was no visible
smoke from that part of the burn.  Nor
when inserting some wet wood in with
the dry higher up in the batch loading.
In fact the most smoke I get is with