[Stoves] Fuel qualities as the limiting factor, and getting rid of WBT (Was: Frank on helium surrogate)

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sun Jan 29 05:30:27 CST 2017

Dear Crispin,

If airflow, temperature and pressure, dilution etc. is needed then you can forget it. But you have the entire stove on a balance? and monitoring the total weight loss?  - Ive never done that but first thoughts are it seems iffy.

The lower heat value? Meaning the moisture and hydrogen in the wood are somehow separated in the weight loss? Perhaps I do not understand how that works.

The chemical composition will change as the volatiles finish and the chars start to combust. This change in primary combustion gasses monitored very accurately with Helium (If it even works!).

If getting stoves cleaner is the goal (along with people wanting to cook in the clean way) we need to prepare the fuel for the stove as that is the limiting factor. Nothing will get cleaner until that is done. And a pile of nice dry and sized biomass ready for the stove should be welcome to the cook. Before this we need to know the optimum fuel conditions for a stove and that is determined in the lab and sent with the stove.

Regards

Have fun at ETHOS - wish I could be there.

Frank

Thanks

Frank
Frank Shields