[Stoves] Solar for peace (Re: Dieter)

Dr. Dieter Seifert doseifert at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 29 23:29:49 CST 2017

Dear Nikhil,

A comment on your question:“Didn't solar PV originate in the space
program, and wasn't there some literature on using solar energy for
warfare?”

40 years ago, Wacker-Chemie in Bavaria started developing silicon wafers
for terrestrial solar cells (not for space application, which was able
to pay the costs of about 1000 USD per Watt in this time). An enormous
cost reduction was targeted for the application on earth. The project
was intensively funded by the German federal government. We worked hard
and developed the processes required for fabrication of
multi-crystalline wafers, which are now in use worldwide. I worked in
this program for 14 years and I see this development as a good example
of the helpful, peace-building and poverty-fighting solar technology.

30 years ago, I installed a photovoltaic lighting in a Spanish
farmhouse, owned by the family who received me as an 8 years old child
in 1950 for 9 months, when Germany was in ruins and my family with five
persons had a living space of 9 square meters. The installation in
Murcia had a 40 Watt panel with a simple 2-axis tracking device. A
SK-parabolic solar cooker (600 Watt) served for comfortable cooking (of
course in combination with a hay basket) and we saved quite totally the
consumption of LPG.

The peace-building effect of solar technologies can only develop when
they are well adapted and applied. We all have responsibility for a
humane future – more or less, depending on our possibilities. I think
that Appropriate Technology/Intermediate Technology (E. F. Schumacher) -
as discussed in this lists - is fundamental for this future.

Best wishes,
Dieter

---