[Stoves] Biochar Production: Learn at Lunch Webinar, July 25

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Jul 7 09:53:50 CDT 2017

Nikhil,

We have been farming the ocean for centuries and doing a bad job of it. We have overgrazed the fish population and driven many species to extinction. We have acidified the oceans and killed the biology reflected in coral reefs and shellfish. Our mismanagement of fertilizers has created dead zones. We have polluted the sea floor with biosolids and trash.  We have done our best to reduce the potential of the oceans to generate the biomass that ultimately feeds us. Over the years, while sailing off the west coast from Mexico to Alaska, we have seen the degradation. Growing and harvesting kelp is nothing new. It has been harvested for sodium alginates for centuries. We used to see them harvesting kelp off San Diego. Our record at managing ocean resources is not good. Nonetheless there is an “Ocean Blue” (?) movement to manage ocean resources for variety of purposes including carbon sequestration.

Growing biomass in the ocean just to carbonize it would be If biochar can help recover from these disasters maybe we ought to be using it to remediate the ocean. Carbonized shell is great for pollutant capture.

More germane to this list is how ocean resources can be used to improve the lives of those living in island and seaside communities. Fresh water and cooking fuels are big challenges. How do you make cooking devices, like rockets or micro-gasifiers, last in a salty environment? How can you make potable water and cook food? When you make charcoal from coconut shell in a pit kiln in Aceh or in the Marianas do you sell it for cash to export, or use it to filter water, or both?

Thanks

Tom