[Stoves] Working to reduce emissions from wood burning appliances in the UK

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 03:18:13 CDT 2017

On 27 July 2017 at 04:11, Nikhil Desai <pienergy2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew:
>
> If Londoners are very wasteful of energy,

That is a gross mis interpretation of what I wrote: it is a luxury
good because of its price-demand  and people like looking at a flaming
fire. Because it is chopped up and delivered in small quantities it
works out  far more expensive than the "normal" fuels which in London
are likely to be gas and elctricity. In the circumstance of a
centrally heated dwelling who use an open fire the fire is likely to
eject more heat from the room up the chimney than it puts into the
room (largely by radiation).

> I guess I don't need to belabor my point. If you have kept your Jotul 602
> for 30+ years, there was enough reason, I am sure.
>
> I remember reading in the summary of the UK wood energy use survey 2015 that
> a half of the wood-using household heaters were 15 or more years old.
>
> If the replacement rate by new Ecodesign stoves is that slow, pollution
> spikes will recur.

It's a good point, capital cost verses reduced running costs, and my
gas boiler (a non condensing type) is over 20 years old, a replacement
should convert more of the energy in the gas to heat for the wet
system but would take about 15 years to recoup and I very much doubt a
modern boiler will last that long.