[Stoves] New video from Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan stove pilots

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Jul 27 22:12:15 CDT 2017

Dear Nikhil

>Is it the production of gases or the high temperatures -- or some sequence thereof -- which makes for very low emission rates independent of fuel type and quality?

It seems that the secret sauce is to operate the pyrolysis very gently. All fuels, basically, are pyrolysed. A modern wood pellet furnace is the opposite of what I have been using: they burn a small number of pellets continuously at quite a high rage of knots. We are pyrolyse a relatively large amount of fuel slowly. This provides the time needed to completely break down the VOC’s and long chains and OC rings. Then the air must be completely controlled with a suitable level of excess air (about 70% for coal and 100% for wood in a low tech stove).

>It suddenly dawned on me - reading a children's book - that the type of large heating stove used in Europe that also doubled for cooking was because of the type of cooking: grilling, roasting, soups and stews, but less of frying and spicing as in Asia.

Hmm… Observing people using them, they turn up the heat when cooking starts and that is done by opening the air supply door. That increases the pyrolysis rate and therefore the gasification rate from the coke as well. The cooking is done, by Western standards, at a high power. People really value fast cooking.