[Stoves] New video from Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan stove pilots

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 10:36:03 CDT 2017

Crispin:

"the true figures for the Models 4 and 5 coal stove are closer to 99.9%."

If sustained, or warranted, that is a stake in the heart of claims that
coal heaters are by definition dangerous. I always thought of it as an
ideological ploy, a war against the poor (countries and people).

Those PM2.5 removal rates are found in modern coal fired power plants but
with ESPs. Still, I would like some comparison of PM2.5 comparisons between
coal-fired power plants and these heating stoves without an ESP. (How much
would an ESP cost? Are there any devices that can be put out in the open to
suck in air from neighborhood and filter it, while the whole neighborhood
goes through stove replacement?)

All this is germane to analysis in a paper by Kirk Smith a year or two ago
-- arguing that, at the margin, air pollution battle in northern China had
to be directed at small coal users, not coal-fired power plants.

That makes sense, and has been my take for some 15 years -- that, failing
sharp reductions in the emission loads from solid fuel cooking (or chimneys
if found usable) by means of better stoves, penetration of electricity
(even if coal-fired, equipped with ESPs, FGDs optional) was an excellent
near-term strategy for urban air quality management.

When heating stoves become "this clean", the market question is simply,
"What are the comparative economics of capital investments in grid
electricity versus coal stoves for space heating?" The answer is
contextual, but I am pretty sure that for the Tajik-Kyrgyz geographies (if
comparable to Mongolia and northern Afghanistan that I have seen), a rapid
rollout of modern coal stoves and insulation/weatherizing is the best
strategy.

The question is not fuel fetishism but the evidence of costs and
performance. We are talking about small quantities of coal as far as
climate concerns go, and I suspect that the coal air emissions-cancer link,
supposedly well-established for rich country people, will not apply when
the emissions are nearly completely eliminated.

Nikhil
* 8*