[Stoves] Noise pollution and premature mortality

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 11:48:47 CDT 2017

Crispin:

Short quick answers below. We can take this off-list after this.

Let me first caution you against your own ideological fervor. I don't think
GACC was meant to be for LPG promotion. Back in 2006-7 (roughly) when Shell
Foundation and PCIA started discussions, LPG prices were high and the PM2.5
adventurism - using equitoxicity, Integrated Exposure Response, and the CVD
attributions - hadn't picked up. All this came in during 2011-14, and my
chaiwalla prime minister came in mid-2014 to change the Indian LPG scene.
(Or so he claimed.)

Do not rush to ascribe to conspiracy that which mere naivete and passion

1. There are many heart diseases and many risk factors. Attributability
depends on assumptions and IHME negotiations for blame allocation. Kirk
Smith cautioned that attributability is not avoidability, and I take the
view that health is indivisible (though diseases may be separable and
treated). This is what makes IHME DALY computations useless for predictive
purposes. Different cohorts, multiple confounding factors. This doesn't
mean nothing can be done; separating areas of environmental health - air
pollution (including from urban wastes), water pollution, noise pollution -
can give urban authorities and urban designers an overall sense of "human
environment" and adopt, apply tools of urban management in the rich
countries. Another discussion altogether, once we get our heads out of the
stove firebox.

2. Yes, GBD allocation has to be recomputed every time. New and better
data, epidemiological results, and change of cohorts, to count a few
factors. Why, the "Integrated Exposure Response" fantasy didn't come in
until after 2014. I don't know when PM2.5 under the "equitoxicity"
assumption came in. From what I recall, the 1996 version - maybe it was
2000 - of GBD had no mention of HAP PM2.5. Yet another reason IHME
computations have no prediction value (even if they were backed by real
data and plausible assumptions without abuse of econometric tools.)

3. Yes, there are "speculations" about global applicability of spotty
studies of emission rates, emission factors, kitchen concentrations and
indoor exposures over short periods. The temptation to use anecdotes - even
fake ones - to incite political opinion is understandable; Donald Trump
does that all the time. Ideological fervor wrapped in scientific robes is
quack medicine.

Not all is rotten. Please don't think in terms of "health impacts". Health
is not measurable. What is identifiable and measurable is disease, and
there are avenues of treatment as well as prevention to begin with.

It is not permissible to argue that somehow "clean cooking solutions" will
prevent specific diseases in specific populations at specific rates. It is
this "fallacy of misplaced concreteness" that we must be careful against.
The precision is fake. DALYs are not devils to be kept at bay by avoiding
the sin of solid fuel use.

Nikhil