[Stoves] PM emissions from engines

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 04:44:09 CDT 2017

Andrew:

"Surely we won't see an improvement in life expectancy for a generation?"

1. Life expectancies at birth, age 5, and at age 50 (or now even 60, 70)
are but one measure of health and have been increasingly broadly
everywhere, with significant sub-national (racial, geographic, class)
disparities
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/05/08/u-s-life-expectancy-varies-by-more-than-20-years-from-county-to-county/>
that are difficult to analyze. Except for a drop in the US last year -
apparently driven by a spike in White middle age death rates and suicides -
life expectancies have been rising and can be expected to keep rising as
nutritional levels improve, behavioral changes are in the "right direction"
(avoidance of tobacco, unsafe sex), and health care services improve.

See WHO's Life Expectancy
<http://www.who.int/gho/mortality_burden_disease/life_tables/situation_trends_text/en/>.
But
also note Almost half of all deaths now have a recorded cause, WHO data show
<http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2017/half-deaths-recorded/en/>
.

That is, more than a half the deaths in 2015 did NOT have a recorded cause
of death.

This is where IHME's jiggery-pokery starts. Assigning a cause of death as
well changing a cause of death from an actual record to something else. The
rest is programmers' and statisticians' "getting away with murder", "a way
of life".

2. "Premature mortality" is a different concept altogether. In 2008 or 2010
(now I forget) IHME changed the definition of "premature mortality" from
"before national life expectancy at birth" to "before age 86". This
understandably has huge implications -- it sharply increased the numbers of
"prematurely dead" (a part of what I call "killing by assumption") and
increased the weight of the creaky, cranky people like me.

This has significant political implications. Not everybody on this earth is
destined to live till 86 simply because that is the ideal length of life
under best conditions for physical, mental, societal wellbeing.

When deaths under 5 or under 15 decline - from malaria, TB control, say -
the total YLL (Years of Life Lost) shrink more, compared to when cancer
treatments extend the life of a 75-year old to 77 years.

There is no - repeat NO - quantifiable link yet between lifetime exposure
to PM2.5 pollution from all sources (indoor, tobacco smoking, second hand
smoking, ambient from all natural and anthropogenic sources) and life
expectancy at any particular age.

Ron Larson apparently disagrees. He should get me a precise number for
reduction in my DALY if I stop living in this polluted urban environment of
India and start living in a bubble professors live in.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(India +91) 909 995 2080
*Skype: nikhildesai888*