[Stoves] solar cooker response (changing thread name)

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 05:19:29 CDT 2017

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 19:57:45 -0400,Nikhil Desai <pienergy2008 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Andrew:
>
>You ask, "I aslo (sic) wonder how a 900W microwave compares if it is only
>heating for a few minutes."

That's my two finger typing getting letters mixed up!

>Comparing what? I don't know about energy efficiency, nor do I care, though
>my sense is, the induction stove is quicker. I would put a mug of water to
>boil in a microwave, half a liter in a kettle, and two liters on an
>induction stove.

I take the point about efficiency, it's cost that matters on the household
scaly even though efficiency is significant on the global scale.

My first quick test was to boil 1 litre in a 3kW plastic kettle and the
same amount on the induction hob. Both kettle and hob sensed the point of
boiling though the kettle let the water boil for longer before switching
off.

The 3kW kettle took 2minute 20 seconds, the 2.1kW induction hob 5 minutes
30 seconds but of course the steel pot would have more energy to heat up
plus bigger losses due to convection and evaporation, even so I was
surprised that the result was not inversely proportional to rated power. I
will have to try both again with a power meter to see axtual electricity
consumption.

Andrew