[Stoves] solar cooker response (changing thread name)

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:57:45 CDT 2017

Andrew:

You ask, "I aslo (sic) wonder how a 900W microwave compares if it is only
heating for a few minutes."

Comparing what? I don't know about energy efficiency, nor do I care, though
my sense is, the induction stove is quicker. I would put a mug of water to
boil in a microwave, half a liter in a kettle, and two liters on an
induction stove.

(Yes, I confess to boiling water. I just don't measure efficiency.)

What matters to me is 1) the purpose, and 2) whether I need to use a glass
or ceramic container or a metal pot and whether I just need to pour out
small quantities in three different containers.

What you may want to think about is a combined microwave/convection oven (a
picture below). I inherited one from a friend; it has some 40+ programs for
cooking and reheating a wide variety of Indian dishes. I the microwave for
making rice, roasting some dry breads (lentil or rice flour) and the grill
to warm up sandwiches.

A few year ago in Vanuatu, I ran out of gas over a 5-day weekend. I cooked
a whole Indian meal in microwave, including a milk-based sweet, and used my
landlord's toaster for warming breads.

Whatever cannot be cooked with electricity at home will get outsourced
sooner or later. Plus those that can be -- e.g., breads (including
tortillas, injeras).

Fuel-based cookstoves will remain for those who remain poor. It's not as if
we have developed usable alternatives for poor households.

Nikhil

[image: Inline image 1]

Nikhil Desai
(India +91) 909 995 2080