[Stoves] solar cooker response (changing thread name)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Jun 13 10:35:07 CDT 2017

Dear Nikhil

Thanks for that.

It was a frustrating read because they did not report the actual cooking power, they reported the electrical consumption. Two things guide the consumer: the boiling time and the cost to operate on the chart below.

Combining the two, one can calculate that the most expensive to operate was about 66% efficient.  That means 1/3 of the power went into heating the kitchen for no benefit.

It is very interesting to me that the cost to operate is so similar to LPG. The price of LPG and electricity must be carefully attuned by someone. It seems almost impossible to have such congruity except by design.

It was also noteworthy that some products have power claims that were not real. In the South African standard for kerosene stoves this is the first thing tested: is the claimed power the real power?  If it is not, the product is assigned its actual power before testing continues. The reason is that the cooking power has to be maintained within 20% of its original over a 500 hour durability test.

I think that is a sensible requirement – consistency of performance is a reasonable expectation.

Andrew, Crispin:

From December 2012, a consumer rating of induction cookstove efficiencies.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai