[Stoves] solar cooker response (changing thread name)

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 14 12:57:31 CDT 2017

Go to the 7:30min and see the heat being thrown onto the pot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0XWyASyyko

These Western China developed solar cookers worked really well in the Gansu province villages we worked in.  As far as I could see they had no major issues and were well appreciated. The main function of the stove was water boiling for water purification, boiling potatoes and pre-heating water for cooking noodles. Cooking was done by villagers on a biomass or biogas stove.

The solar stoves were cast concrete with small mirrors glued onto them. The stoves had no theft or breakage issues and costs reasonable and were always in use. GTZ could have saved a lot of money doing a side trip to China to see how the Chinese have worked to build a viable solar stove. I think they could be made in rural Africa. You would just need to import the mirror strips.

regards
Roger