[Stoves] solar cooker response (changing thread name)

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 13:48:50 CDT 2017

Roger:

Thank you. This video reminded me of Afghanistan, and I found these two
videos on YouTube.

Should be competitive with LPG in the mountains, at least for making teas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y_EbUTB2JA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZhltLSM6k

Nikhil

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:57:31 +0000 (UTC)
From: Roger Samson <rogerenroute at yahoo.ca>
To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
        <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Subject: Re: [Stoves] solar cooker response (changing thread name)

Go to the 7:30min and see the heat being thrown onto the pot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0XWyASyyko

These Western China developed solar cookers worked really well in the Gansu
province villages we worked in.  As far as I could see they had no major
issues and were well appreciated. The main function of the stove was water
boiling for water purification, boiling potatoes and pre-heating water for
cooking noodles. Cooking was done by villagers on a biomass or biogas stove.

The solar stoves were cast concrete with small mirrors glued onto them. The
stoves had no theft or breakage issues and costs reasonable and were always
in use. GTZ could have saved a lot of money doing a side trip to China to
see how the Chinese have worked to build a viable solar stove. I think they
could be made in rural Africa. You would just need to import the mirror
strips.

regards
Roger
Nikhil Desai