[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting, the WBT

Jiddu alexander san at nesware.net
Fri Jun 23 13:44:56 CDT 2017

Dear Tom,

I understand that the WBT is part of a larger system with KPT and CCT.
However, that doesn't make the WBT results more useful or correct. The
other tests only help hide its flaws.

I know you asked:

what specifically would you change to simulate stove performance while

cooking?

I will answer that underneath, but before that I want to stress that we
have to divide the two actions:

1) recognising a system that is flawed, and stop promoting it
2) find suitable testing protocol(s) to replace the flawed

We do not have to finish point 2 before we implement point 1. We can
stop promoting the WBT before selecting an appropriate other protocol.
There is plenty of scientific evidence to consider the WBT not suitable
as international standard.

The remainder of this message is to answer your question. It is my
opinion on point 2, ‘what is a suitable protocol’. However, it only
covers what I have experience with and I understand that other systems
may prove more suitable. This is not something I currently wish to
debate about :-) But I do not want to leave you without my answer:

I would suggest to start from the Controlled Cooking Test and drop
boiling and simmering. Boiling (adding energy) and simmering (overcoming
energy losses) are fundamentally different and as we see in the WBT
dealing with simmering is very easy to get wrong scientifically.

So, onto the Controlled Cooking Test (using standard cooking practices
for your target customers) I would add something scientifically more
robust like cooking power such that 'boiling' and 'simmering' can be
described in something lab reproducible such as power in Watts (energy
per second).

Luckily, it already exists. HTP does the reproducible tests and
calculations. The Indonesian Stove program is a perfect example of an
adoption to local cooking practises.

Best,
Jiddu

(I’m on holiday next week so please excuse me if I don’t find time to reply)