[Stoves] News: Gold Standard Capacity Building Workshop on Health Impact Methodology

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 14:26:41 CDT 2017

Says it is about "household thermal energy requirements and lighting
interventions".

Which I suppose means electrification, LPG, and used and useful solid fuel
cooking and heating stoves.

>From what I can tell, Crispin's space-heating stoves in Kyrgyzstan and
elsewhere may be candidates for winning millions of dollars, just from
computations. (It's not as if there is a baseline validated by proven
models. So long as he can scratch enough backs... )

I confess to having argued for more research into health impacts of
kerosene for lighting. That was in Nairobi, when the intervention of choice
was solar LED lanterns. I should have instead asked for hourly emission
rate data for improved kerosene lamps.

Nikhil

 --------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,

The Gold Standard cordially invites you to attend Capacity Building
workshop on the Gold Standard’s Averted Disability Adjusted Life Years
(ADALYs) methodology being held in Accra, Ghana on 14 and 15 July, 2017.

ADALYs methodology:
http://www.goldstandard.org/sites/default/files/documents/
adalys_methodology_v1.0_0.pdf

The Gold Standard has recently introduced a pioneering quantification and
monitoring methodology for health benefits for household thermal energy
requirements and lighting interventions that reduce indoor air pollution
exposures and associated risk of health impacts. The methodology uses
Averted Mortality and Disability Adjusted Life Years (ADALYs) as the impact
metric to estimate the health benefits. The methodology has been designed
concurrently with the development of the Gold Standard for Global Goals, a
new standard that allows for the consolidation of existing Gold Standard
scopes and for the quantification of multiple impacts based on the
Sustainable Development Goals.

This workshop is part of a series of regional workshops being organized by
the Gold Standard and supported by the World Bank to train stakeholders on
the application of the methodology and its requirements. The workshop has
been specifically designed to introduce the methodology and associated
requirements in addition to providing interactive training on different
components of the methodology. The workshop is specifically targeted
towards project developers, auditors, development sector organizations,
testing agencies, government agencies working in health and environment
sector and other practitioners.

Participation in the workshop will be free. However please note that due to
space constraints, the number of attendees will be restricted. We cordially
ask you to register and indicate your interest for participation by
emailing us at – vikash.talyan at goldstandard.org

For further information on the ADALYs methodology and our latest Standard,
please visit – www.goldstandard.org

*Limited funding to cover travel and boarding lodging costs is available
for eligible participants from research organisations, small NGOs working
in the health and environment sector and project developers from
LDCs/LLDCs/SIDs. Please send in your request justifying your eligibility
for the funding and estimate of the cost before 30th June 2017.