[Stoves] Rebecca Vermeer sent you a video: "Cooking Performance of Eco-Kalan Tincan TLUD Stove, Feb 6, 2017"

Rebecca A. Vermeer ravermeer at telus.net
Wed Mar 8 04:03:04 CST 2017

Cooking Performance of Eco-Kalan TinCan TLUD Stoves with Wood Briquettes & Sticks, March 1, 2017

https://youtu.be/ESiEWSBnewI

NOTE: WHEN VIEWING A PHOTO ALBUM, LEFT CLICK ON THE i icon TO SEE THE INFO DETAILS OF EACH PHOTO.

March 1, 2017 Broken Alder wood puck briquettes in widemouth Eco-Kalan Tincan TLUD stove - Cooking Peas Phase 1

https://goo.gl/photos/LfSkQkeRHeYxmZKYA

March 1, 2017 Ipil-Ipil Sticks in narrow mouth TinCan TLUD stove with riser - Cooking Peas Phase 2

https://goo.gl/photos/9zttbuSzjLkQgb7V8

Dear Paul, Ron, Julien, Jon and All,

Thank you for your encouraging comments and valuable suggestions on the Feb. 6, 2017 video, "Cooking Performance of Eco-Kalan TinCan TLUD Stove . In the above March 1, 2017 video and photo albums, I responded to your comments as follows:

1. J on's comment on squirting kerosene on the top of the fuel bed which then drips down to the bottom:

The kindlings we use for starting a fire are now dipped into 25 ml of kerosene and placed on top of the fuel bed.

2. Paul's and Julien's suggestion to turn down the flame.

This has been achieved by:

a) Sealing with sand all areas of primary air entry including the base of the TinCan which touch the parilla; the back opening and sides of the parilla; and a small but adjustable opening at the front end of the parilla

b) Loading the minimum required fuel.

c) Reducing the concentrator hole diameter and maintaining that same hole diameter for the riser.

Of the above 3 measures, having a small but adjustable opening is the simplest way to control the flame.

3. Paul's request for more photos -- please see the above photo albums.

4. Ron's query on my cooks' views on the TLUD vs. Traditional approaches

My female cooks have been using the Eco-Kalan-C for many years and therefore, are hard to wean away from the stove that allows them to do all their cooking effectively and use any type of found fuel year round at Felipa Beach, Dumaguete City, Negros Island, Philippines. They dislike cutting or sawing wood into prescribed lengths for my TLUD stoves. But since male cooks from the Philippine Army took on some of the cooking and most of the wood fuel preparations, all my cooks (males and females) now like to use the TinCan TLUD stove for short time cooking (within 1 hour) for dishes such as Pancit, Bam-I, soups, vegetables, small pieces or ground meats "because the TinCan stove (with dry wood and kerosene as fire starter) is easy to light, no smoke and fast cooking". For long time cooking (> 1 hour), they prefer to use the Eco-Kalan-C as adding fuel when needed is very easy. For frying, my cooks prefer to use the Eco-Kalan-C because they can adjust the temperature of the cooking oil easily by taking out or adding fuel to the fire.

Since I introduced Wilvaco's (Willamete Valley Company) alder wood briquettes to my cooks for use in the Eco-Kalan-C and the Eco-Kalan TinCan TLUD stove (see video and photo albums below), I have noticed significant increase in their enthusiasm for and enjoyment from cooking. A fuel can really make a stove tic. The importance of a good and dry solid fuel motivates me to participate in finding ways to make wood briquettes commercially viable for everyone.

Warm regards from Felipa Beach,

Rebecca Vermeer

Eco-Kalan Project in the Philippines

March 1, 2017 Alder wood puck briquette in eco-KALAN-C - Cooking Pancit

https://goo.gl/photos/z9FNnqhvuT81qtuo9

Cooking Performance of Eco-Kalan-C Stove with Alder wood puck briquette. Pancit. March 1, 2017

https://youtu.be/UFk3-eJupTw