[Stoves] Full cooking with minimal TLUD stove --- Re: Rebecca Vermeer sent you a video: "Cooking Performance of Eco-Kalan Tincan TLUD Stove, Feb 6, 2017"

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 8 09:10:34 CST 2017

Dear all,

Rebecca's message (below) merits special attention.  Very informative
about a low-cost variation of TLUD stoves.  Low cost because it is with
a clay pot support, hollow clay brick for primary air entry with sand
for air control, and one or two tin cans.   I ask Rebecca to tell us the
cost of her TLUD stoves.  I suspect that you are under US$ 5. !!!!!
(not counting the bench / platform upon which the stoves are placed for
convenient operation height for those who cook while standing up.   But
the stove is short enough by itself to appeal to those who cook while
seated or squatting.)

She is past the stages of proof of concept and the proof of
acceptance-by-cooks.  Some fine tuning remains, but this arrangement is
close to ready to be into some (further) pilot studies.

Notes (that only make sense to those who have viewed Rebecca's materials):
1.  Advantage of a densified fuel ("log pieces"), but wood in a taller
tincan would do the same job and same time.  Also your comment about the
male cooks (army) and fuel preparation help point out that fuel
preparation can be a new employment for some unskilled workers.   Fuel
type and supply are very important,  but almost always any small
complaints can be resolved with a little attention to fuel  handling.

2.  I am not 100% sure of how the top (concentrator) lid is made and
placed onto the fuel can.   (I suspect usage of the can opener that
leaves the lip on the lid.   Highly economical use of the tin can.)
Instead or alternatively, a separate concentrator lid could be made from
a metal dinnerware plate or improvised easily with a tinsmith.

3.  Video and photos show TWO stoves that I will call "short one" (on
the left) and "taller one" on the right which is simply raised on a few
bricks.  I like the taller one because it has space for and uses a 3+
inch riser (the second tin can, best seen in the still photos before it
is put into place.)

4.  About that riser, I suggest that you turn it upside down.   (or
completely cut out both ends).   And consider larger diameter cans for
risers.   Experimentation is needed.   Please report what you find to
work best (or to not work well).

5.  There are still issues of safety, such as contact / movement of the
very hot single-wall metal pieces (TLUD fuel canister, riser, etc).
Tongs or handles will eventually appear, adding convenience but
increasing the price.  This will be adjusted according to the prefernces
of the stove users, and there should NOT be requirements that these
stoves have handles, etc,. thereby delaying the availability of these
stoves to people who could want them.

6.  And an important note about BIOCHAR in Rebecca's configuration: In
the video, they choose to burn the charcoal, which is fine.   But if you
want to make biochar, simply remove the fuel canister at the end of
pyrolysis, and insert a second tincan what was already prepared and
ready for use.  I think that this stove might have significant interest
in Bangladesh with Mabubul's project.

Congratulations to Rebecca and her team!!   (I suggest that a condensed
version of the video and photo collection might also be appropriate.)

Everyone can enjoy reading and seeing their success!!!

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com