[Stoves] Stove Conf in Poland this month

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue May 2 14:24:28 CDT 2017

Dear Paul and All

>This link will give you the program, and one (of several) title that
says:   The Heating+Cooking and Coal Heatstoves Summit.    So there is
at least a significant part of the agenda about COAL.   What will be said?

http://ccacoalition.org/en/events/stoves-summit-addressing-black-carbon-and-other-emissions-stoves-globally?utm_source=May%202017%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=May%2017%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email

It is mostly about black carbon and is in part sponsored by the ICCI.

>Agenda mentions
>Tami Bond (keynote speaker) [Black Carbon]
>GACC [something about stoves that cook as well as heat]
>Mongolia [CPP Development of coal stoves with extremely low PM and BC emissions]

The theme advertised was wood stoves that heat and cook, and coal stoves that heat. I think the main sponsor is the government of Poland. The focus, as I understand it, is Eastern Europe. There is another initiative under way to develop better stoves and housing for the Roma people which is in theory covered by this larger agenda. Both initiatives validate the concerns of poor people that their energy needs are not being very well appreciated.

>TWO points:
>1.  Why has this not been mentioned before on the Stoves Listserv??

Maybe because it is mostly focussed on space heating and BC emissions reduction.

>2.  I hope that someone who attends can give us pointers to key
presentations, etc.

Will do.

>Specifically, I would like to know if the WOODGAS (TLUDs etc) stoves even get mentioned, and if so, in what way or context.

It could be mentioned in the context of space heating using a pellet gasifier, I suppose. It is not focussed on particular technologies but the BC emissions from burning solid fuels. Some part of it at least will be devoted to examining the theory behind the dramatic PM reductions achieved in Central Asia which I think we have heard enough about for the moment.

There are two things which keep such solid fuel discussion off the agenda, or quiet. One is the continuing war on coal, which is to say that all coal burning is held to be antithetical to clean air regardless of the actual emission. The second is that space heating for the billions who use solid fuels is not high on the agenda of 'clean energy' people. With recent advances in clean combustion of both wood and coal, the equation is changing and we can expect more and more countries to take part in discussions about how to manage domestic energy and issues of poverty and access.  As you are probably aware, the heating energy of the poor is often handled with, "We should given them electricity and gas."

Taking Bishkek as an example, there is no spare electricity available, and the gas is supplied by Gazprom which charges a fortune for it. Heating from the power plant (district heating) costs about $8 per month to heat a home. Electricity is not much more. Gas is about $500. As it is difficult to get connected to the district heating system and no more connections are allowed for electric heating, the options are coal or gas. Coal is far cheaper, but the low pressure boilers and stoves available are inefficient (mostly) and have poor combustion efficiency. That is why the winter heating pilot was conducted this season - to demonstrate new technologies, or at least how to think about creating new technologies that may emerge from the local producers.

Eastern Europe has a large number of people who are dependent on simple home heating systems that could be much more efficient, convenient and cleaner. Poland recognises that.

Stovers,

This link will give you the program, and one (of several) title that
says:   The Heating+Cooking and Coal Heatstoves Summit.    So there is
at least a significant part of the agenda about COAL.   What will be said?

http://ccacoalition.org/en/events/stoves-summit-addressing-black-carbon-and-other-emissions-stoves-globally?utm_source=May%202017%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=May%2017%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email

Agenda mentions
Tami Bond (keynote speaker)
GACC
Mongolia (?? Crispin's co-workers ??)
and much more.

TWO points:
1.  Why has this not been mentioned before on the Stoves Listserv??
2.  I hope that someone who attends can give us pointers to key
presentations, etc.   Specifically, I would like to know if the WOODGAS
(TLUDs etc) stoves even get mentioned, and if so, in what way or context.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com