[Stoves] List of woods for TLUDs?

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed May 3 14:11:44 CDT 2017

Frank:

"It's past time we need to quantify the statements."

"If we don't quantify the statements it is all just years and years of more chitchat."

"But the first step is testing the parameters  of the fuel."

Amen.

I think it was Cecil who complained about the cacophony back last August.

My complaints about the dominant ideology of EPA, Berkeley, Gates gang at IHME, WHO, or Liverpool, Amory parade of epidemiologists go nowhere. But my primary point was the same as yours - it's past time we start quantifying the statements. With minimal assumptions needed to advance a hypothesis, a theory, a model; not to set out making a bang that media would propagate and funders will drop bigger grants for, then make all assumptions needed to prove a lie.

Some of us relish concocted, utterly spurious and irrelevant pseudo-quantification inherent in this dominant ideology. That too only generates more chitchat and money from the masters of development aid.

Other sources of money are now needed unless the dominant ideology of cocktail conversations and White House dinners with Leonard DeCarpio is forced to be oriented toward pleasing the cooks, not just making money in their name.

Face it, we make money and need money too but we have been servile to this dominant ideology, having to please the paymasters so that real work gets done.

Chitchat is absolutely necessary. We need to use different vocabulary - say, "modern cooking and heating" (should be clean and of any fuels, but not along the lines of what Kirk Smith may bless as "truly health protective," and certainly not as determined by hourly emission rates).

I have been dismissive of the obsessions with irrelevant performance metrics but I am inspired by some of you to judge that an alternative paradigm for what passes as "stove science" (though painfully too often as water boiling science) is possible.

Stove science in and of or by itself is ineffective without the economics of fuels and cooking. Toward that end, may I describe your suggestion to quantify the statements, and determining the parameters if the fuel as "Fuel Characterization Studies"?

Such are needed for testing and quantifying different types stoves for user-relevant metrics. For specific geographic and demographic contexts. Enough of context-free, user-independent pronouncements that we have been waiting for five years or 35 years.

Fuels first, stoves second, for the "specific cooking desired" (Todd)

Nikhil