[Stoves] List of woods for TLUDs?

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Mon May 1 15:46:04 CDT 2017

Neil,
My point has always been that talk about ‘types of wood’, ‘low density materials’, ‘oily materials’, 'size of primary and secondary holes', 'requirement of fans', 'high ash' etc, etc are all a waste of time as it has been for years with us getting nowhere.

Its past time we need to quantify the statements. Oily wood - mg oil per kg of wood; density in g/cc, size distribution and shape to determine void space for air movement. Volatile and fixed components, ash, moisture, etc. etc.

Determining the above is the Test Package I talk about being used on different biomasses. I have done these type of tests for years.  It is about $150 for the package to get the results on a fuel.  I can also teach others how I suggest the testing is done. But that is just the beginning.

Then we work on a specific packed fuels. We need air flow and that is a combination of heat developed in the stove body and void space for air movement. That involves size and shape of fuels and carbon densities and packing densities (for batch systems). This part can get complicated. This I’m thinking can be done in a test chamber that all labs use to ‘compare’ packed fuels.

Then we work on stoves and determine the best type of fuels for that stove and see what results they give in the test chamber. That so you can go into an area and test the available fuel in the test chamber and see what stoves can use that fuel. Something like that. But first step is testing the parameters of the fuel.

All the talk of adjusting air holes and what size they should be seems to me to be pointless without a discussion of fuel packing and void space and other information regarding the fuel being used. If we don’t quantify the statements it is all just years and years of more chit-chat.

Frank

fShields at keithdaycompany.com

franke at cruzio.com