[Stoves] More from ESMAP

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri May 5 12:04:43 CDT 2017

Dear Friends

I realise that few subscribers have been to the Langfang Stove Expo so I can say it is enormous and has stoves from across China of all sizes and types from 'picnic stoves' up to large steam boilers.

ESMAP has posted more on line about the South-South Knowledge Exchange.

>From April 17-19, government officials and experts from China, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan were brought together to share their experiences at the Clean and Efficient Heating South-South Knowledge Exchange Event. These countries are working with the World Bank to find clean and efficient heating solutions that include the use of clean stoves. Although each country has its own characteristics, they often face similar institutional, technical, and financial challenges, and can learn from each other's example.

The event was organized in conjunction with China's 11th Clean Stove Expo. China has the largest clean stove industry in the world and has implemented various government-supported clean stove programs. The event was supported by the World Bank's Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP), and was organized by the Bank and the Rural Energy and Environment Agency under the Ministry of Agriculture and the China Agricultural University.

Here are the main take-aways:

  *   Country programs need to be designed with their particular needs and challenges in mind.
  *   The solutions for clean and efficient heating require matching fuel and heating devices. Recent developments in stove technology offer an opportunity to transform the sector.
  *   While countries need to push their industries to introduce new technologies and stimulate demand, they must be careful not to distort the market. A phased strategy with gradually reduced incentives may be appropriate.
  *   Developing local production capacity is crucial to transform the clean stoves market.

Details for each of these are at http://blogs.worldbank.org/eastasiapacific/Clean-efficient-heating-south-south-knowledge-exchange-event

They have now uploaded all the presentations (click Load More to see all). An English transcript has been provided for the BBC video.

See https://collaboration.worldbank.org/groups/clean-cooking-and-heating-solutions

I highly recommend reading the Mongolian presentation available here<https://collaboration.worldbank.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/23267-102-1-29900/UBCAP%20Presentation%20notes-EN.pdf>.   It is a sober review of the air quality problem, the stove-based solutions tried, the result and the risks to those results. Truly a first class presentation. The movie missing was a general presentation describing Mongolia so it is not necessary to understand how the project worked. This program has invested more than $45m to date with significant, tangible benefits. In particular I draw your attention to the chart on slide 43 showing the impact on air quality across the city.

It covers the development of the stove testing lab, the stove development centre (which everyone wishes they had!) and how the localisation of production is progressing. A new national standard covering stoves from 3 to 15 kW(t) has been promulgated. More that 600 tests performance of stoves have been performance involving 35 different fuels.