[Stoves] "Char-MAKING stoves" Re: Stove Conf in Poland this month

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat May 6 09:54:16 CDT 2017

Dear Crispin and stovers,      6 May 2017

Those are some wise words that you wrote.   But some of the words are
not so wise.   We all pick and choose where we agree.

Personally (and based on some solid experience wirh stove issues), my
bets for the future of clean cookstoves for hundreds of millions of
households are the following.
1)  Bet #1.      LPG (because of the "current" availability of the fuel
and the sources of money (as in "big oil" wirh government backing / tax
mmoney that bings profits to some, votes to others, and somerhing
desireable (LPG cooking) that has great appeal to the "current
wood-burning people " who are moving toward worthy lifestyles that
affluent people have shown to be so desireable.  LPG advocates envision
converting 300 to 400 million houesholds of the 500 million HH that are
srill with 3-stone and other "INADEQUATE cooking solurions"  (I say that
ICS should refer to "Inadequate" and not "Improved" cooking solutions.)

2.   So, Bet #2.    The future fo clean cookinf solurions is NOT wirh
the "iCS" devices and fuels.  There will be some sales of
chrcoal-butning stoves and some rocket stoves, but thy are pasr
techgnologies that did not solve in rhe past 40 years the cooksrove
challenges .

NOTE:  I hope that all readers have seen the 2017 "Classification od
Stove Technologies and Fuel" document (especilally the table).
Availacble at my websitte.
http://www.drtlud.com/2017/04/11/classification-stove-technologies-fuels/

3.   Bet #3.  The microgasifier stoves that crete _woodgas _from solid
dry biomass (mainly wood) is the ONE combinarion of stove and fuel that
can provide QUITE CLEQN BURNING (GAS BURNING) and has prospects to reach
th the poorest and the most remote households. Kik Smith estimates 25
million such households in India alone, beyond the reach of the LPG
efforts.   That is a worthytarget for woodgas stoves..   Make that 100
million HH world wide.   And then we will see how may other HH were not
serviced by the grand plan od LPG (my estimate is another 100 million HH).

4,  Bet #4.   (Especially for Crispin).   The stoves that MAKEchaecoal
will dominate the woodgas effoets.   Thos chacoal making stoves are TLUD
stoves wirh solid biomas fuel (wood, pellets. etc).    The high
turbulance "fan-jet stoves (Philips - ACE Biolyte, and a ew others) are
NOT included in the cha-making TLUD group.  IMO,They are amongy the
"one-hit wonders" about which Crispn sent his words od caution,
TTRACTUBNG ATTENTION AND SOAKING UP THE LIMIED SUPPLY of stove funding..

5.  Bet #5.   Not about a stove, but about chaecoal.   BIOCHAR is going
t0 be bigtime ecentually.   And it will strengthen the appel of the TLUD
charmaking sroves.

I qill have to live with thse 5 BETS or "predictions".   Non are going
to happn overnight.   But it ill happen faster if more of you readers
becme usupppoetive and involved.  No pressure.   just an open invitation.

  I will be writing more about all of these issues.  THIS message and
others (past and future) are easily available for long-term access at
the EPOSTS menu/tab ar my website:  www.drtlud.com    (alllow a couple
od days for th posting to appear.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com