[Stoves] Energy poverty and shack fires

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu May 11 11:25:41 CDT 2017

Crispin:

I wonder if such fires can be attributed to the stoves or to operator
errors or "acts of God". So a stove manufacturer probably cannot be held
liable.

Nor for any of the other ills listed.

Dr Kimemia advocates "greater enforcement of home appliance standards and
targeted support for the distribution of proven alternative energy
technologies, such as liquefied petroleum gas and solar power."

Yeah, right. A 2010 ADB report stated, "*During 2008, there were a total of
5,610 deaths in Afghanistan from accidents occurring from either misuse or
the use of unsafe LPG cylinders*. "

https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/project-document/63825/40921-afg-rrp.pdf

Nikhil Desai

> -----------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 14:34:58 +0000
> From: Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com>
> To: "'Stoves (stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org)'"
>    <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
> Subject: [Stoves] Energy poverty and shack fires
DM5PR2201MB1499750776B24C86C67C8CE8B1EF0 at DM5PR2201MB1499.namprd22.prod.outlook.com

> Dear Friends
>
> Dr David Kimemia has published an article with Ashley Van Niekerk
>
> Energy poverty, shack fires and childhood burns
> Abstract
> Burn injuries are a persisting challenge in South Africa. Energy poverty,
prevalent in under-resourced communities, is a key contributor to the
problem. The energy-poor rely on solid fuels and flammable hydrocarbons,
such as paraffin, for energy services. The fuels are burnt in inefficient,
leaky and unstable appliances, leading to health losses from pollutant
emissions, burns, and conflagrations. Within cramped informal home
settings, using flammable fuels and risky combustion technologies, the
situation can become devastating, especially for young children. Those who
survive fiery incidents have to contend with trauma and property losses
that may lead to further impoverishment. Proactive intervention strategies
are required and should include the broadening of access to safe and
sustainable energy. We advocate greater enforcement of home appliance
standards and targeted support for the distribution of proven alternative
energy technologies, such as liquefied petroleum gas and solar power.
Support and advocacy from professional and citizen groups would be
necessary to ensure that government prioritises the safe energy
requirements of poor citizens.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315903220_Energy_poverty_shack_fires_and_childhood_burns