[Stoves] Energy poverty and shack fires

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu May 11 12:12:51 CDT 2017

Dear Nikhil

During the drafting of the SABS Standard for paraffin stoves, pressure and non-pressurized, the then head of the ‎Paraffin Safety Association (PASASA) said that they had investigated the number of casualties in an urban setting with LPG-using homes. They said there were two candidate cities, Rio and Cairo. They chose Cairo.

The number of people harmed per incident for paraffin was 3 and the number for LPG was something like 33. I have no additional data to confirm that, but that is a very big difference.

The number of people hurt in Indonesia after the big conversion from kerosene to LPG rose dramatically after one year due to equipment failures, particularly caused by leaks. That was addressed by changes to the equipment requirements.

It would be interesting to see a comparison from Dr Kimemia of those homes using approved vs ‎unapproved paraffin stoves in South Africa, and approved LPG products.

House explosions caused by leaked LPG killing whole families are happening but may be over-advertised and unrepresentative. ‎I would not like to see LPG harm excused on the basis that it is better than some dreadful level of kerosene incidents. Solutions are complex and involve training.

In general mixing extreme poverty and pressurized gas has a high risk for a number of obvious reasons. One of the safest and helpful examples is that in India poor people getting free tanks and refills ‎sell them to restaurants. They use the money for things they want and need. Home economics 101.

Crispin

Crispin:

I wonder if such fires can be attributed to the stoves or to operator errors or "acts of God". So a stove manufacturer probably cannot be held liable.

Nor for any of the other ills listed.

Dr Kimemia advocates "greater enforcement of home appliance standards and targeted support for the distribution of proven alternative energy technologies, such as liquefied petroleum gas and solar power."

Yeah, right. A 2010 ADB report stated, "During 2008, there were a total of 5,610 deaths in Afghanistan from accidents occurring from either misuse or the use of unsafe LPG cylinders. "

https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/project-document/63825/40921-afg-rrp.pdf

Nikhil Desai