[Stoves] Biochar and stove advocates an learn about SUCCESSFUL stove projects Re: [biochar] Biochar ranking at Project Drawdown

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri May 12 23:16:27 CDT 2017

Michael, Ron and the Biochar crowd,       AND to the the Stovers because
this is about _stoves_ that make char..   And to the GACC and ESMAP and
Shell Foundation and all those who are sitting on money or acting as
"filters" or gate-keepers of funds for stoves.

Please listen.   Please read and understand and please tell others.
NOTE:   I like and advocate for the FC troughs etc and biochar.   BUT
PLEASE pay attention to what I have said before and what obviously you
are not comprehending..

1.  THIS is Only about TLUD char-making stoves.   Forget about the ICS
"Inadequate cookstoves.   NOT rockets or char-burning stoves.

There really are some good TLUDs.   And I am telling everyone over and
over again about the great success in West Bengal India.   WITH
SUCCESSFUL MARKETING.     The Case Study of Deganga (at my website).
It was essentially the pilot study.   12,000 stoves (including 1000 in
Assam state).   And now in a second loaction in Rongo community we are
getting 65% adoption by the households. TLUD Stove acceptance:
ACCOMPLISHED in pilot.   and being expanded X10  (10-fold increase in
the project, to add 125,000 more char-making Champion ND-TLUDs in 3
years).    Industrially made: quality.   7-year (0r more) lifespan if
with maintenance, which is part of the package.

???  Okay???   Got that????   No more talk about  non-acceptance.
Scale-up to hundreds of thousands could be soon.   then to the millions.

----- Let's turn to the money issues.

2.  Finances:  These stoves SAVE money, and they MAKE money for the
households (char being sold for burning elswhere because there is no
support for biochar usage into soils there YET!!!! )    10 tons of char
of TLUD / biochar quality per day!!   Income EARNING for the
households!!!!!!

Also   ----   The TLUD stoves there are earning CER/GS certified carbon
credits EACH YEAR (now in the 5th year).   Dollar value each year equals
the cost of the manufacturing the stove (but project maintenance needs
50% to assure continuation throught the next year, and onward for 7
years.    So call that a 50% return on investment (ROI) --- assumption
is that somebody will purchase carbon credits.

----   But in order that the POOR people can have the stove and put it
to profitable use, it is sold at a subsidized price of $15 (versus $35
from the factory).   That $15 is used for sales commissions and
maintenance and support and training, in that first year.   This is
working very well.   Local job creation, etc.

So, my big problem is to ge the $35 per stove  (We base our projections
on $40 per stove to have a little margin).   Forty dollars is not much
for what is being accomplished:   Cleanest (healthiest)  type of stove
that actually uses solid biomass as the fuel ---- to make the gases that
are used for cooking.  TLUD stoves (of several designs) are THE BIOMASS
ALTERNATIVE TO LPG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!     NOTHING ELSE IN THE SOLID BIOMASS
STOVE-WORLD COMES CLOSE to LPG.        AND reduction of fuel usage
(about 50%, even allowing for the charcoal that is produced.)     And
the carbon credits.    And all the stove blah blah blah about fast
lighting and some turn-down, and the better workload etc for women, AND
earning money from the char procuction.

Sure.   Multiple benefits.     But a SELF-SUSTAINING project with the
support and mainenance and carbon credit operations (and surplus earned
money) needs about 10,000 stoves in a serviceable area (depends on
population concentration).     And 10,000 stoves requires $400,000 to
get them from the factory.  SOLEY THE COST OF MANUFACTURED STOVES,
nothing of that money is needed for the stove business operations
(maintenance, training, marketing, sales). That is a lot of money.   BUT
it pays back several times over durtig the 7 + years of the project.!!!!

By the way, I am doing this via my not for profit (just getting started)
Juntos NFP.   The people are the beneficiaries, not me.

So, NOW, these days, I am looking for money to expand from the pilot to
scale-up and further pilots in other areas.  Details of such searching
is done "off-List", but if you have any leads (even for smaller amounts)
of funds, please contact me at psanders at ilstu.edu       On-going,
expanding projects, and to discuss new areas.

But let's not have any more statements such as those I have left below
(in case anyone wants to read them) about the lack of viability or real
progress with cookstoves.     REMEMBER, THESE ARE TLUD CHAR-MAKING
STOVES.      (Forget about the ICs "Inadequate" Cooking Solutions.)

Paul                     (This message will be soon available at my
EPosts site on my website.)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com