[Stoves] How to make smokeless coal?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue May 23 08:06:39 CDT 2017

Dear Nikhil

>What is "clean"? Some particular PM2.5 hourly average emission rate?
To that I have an answer: PM2.5 below the limit of detection. That is what ‘clean’ means to me.
>Whoever said so and on what basis?
I said so just now on the basis that if it cannot be detected then it is not there.
>Would you believe in "equi-remedial" properties of all foods, cooked and uncooked? Irrespective of any direct measurements of what you ate when where?
I do not understand the question. Please rephrase or use a different analogy.
>Or that some integration of your lifetime exposure to sub-zero temperatures puts you in a specific time-block for death?
That would be bunk.
>Without any direct measurements of temperatures or your clothing, your location?
Even with those, it would be bunk.
>That is what the WHO nonsense about air pollution killing 7 million people a year amounts to.
Agreed.
>Just get over 'clean'. It is like "obscene" - a matter of prevailing community standards.
Not just yet. We can do much better to provide an absolute standard and work back to an acceptable standard.  If I have a clean shirt – no detectable dirt or smell upon it – then ‘clean shirts exist’.
>After so many self-goals, we might finally learn how to play the game.
If I cannot see or measure the self-goals, do they count?
All measurements have an uncertainty attached. If the propagated uncertainties exceed the claimed measured value, the value is not provably different from zero. One does not need to provide evidence of ‘cleanliness’ one needs to provide evidence of ‘dirt’. Evidence of dirt beyond the measurement uncertainty is real. Below that it is not.
The Round Robin Testing (RRT) has largely been done with LEMS systems from Aprovecho given by the GACC to regional knowledge and testing centres, paid for by a grant from Shell. That system has a detection limit that cannot tell the difference between zero and about “tier 3.5” (were it to exist). No matter what the test method is, the apparatus has that limitation.
If there is a test method with its own additional uncertainties, for example using the final mass of water instead of the initial as the ‘water mass boiled’ the lower limit of the package can detect (method plus apparatus) comes down. Let’s say it comes down to Tier 2. That means any emission mass that is ‘cleaner’ that Tier 2’s threshold cannot be said with confidence to be different from zero. Do you follow?
I should write separately on the means, mechanisms and purpose of RRT.