[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Haiti document of comments

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat May 27 11:42:23 CDT 2017

Dear Paul and Roland

>Charcoal is a billion $ business and only 20% of the end price goes to the producer, who usually apply very primitive methods. 80 % is transport, bribes, intermediates etc. And there is nothing (tax) for the concerning state budget.

The principal reason for this situation is that:

Charcoal making is often illegal so the government cannot tax it.

It is kept illegal by those involved in the trade making a lot of noise about how bad it is and how destructive it is. It suits them to keep it illegal to block legitimate competition.

People cannot use more modern methods of production without being formalised as a business, which is illegal.

The bribes are taken by those who keep the business illegal to line their own pockets.

When charcoal making is legalised and supported by training and technology transfer it becomes commercially successful, the wanton destruction of the resource by outsiders is blocked, local jobs are created, local revenue is generated for the community, mafias are cut out of the equation, productivity rises, quality can be assured, long term management of forestry reserves is encouraged and defended by the local community.

Until those wishing to 'save the forest' are willing to address the fundamental reasons why the system is so inefficient and poorly managed, there is little hope. Banning charcoal production obviously doesn't work - it just creates more opportunities for corruption and overnight theft of a community's resources.

Good examples of proper management of forest resources can be found in Canada, Haiti, Chad, South Africa, Botswana and Rwanda. I am sure there are others. Of those named perhaps Chad has the most interesting story and Rwanda has the most success.

Best regards