[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: [biochar] Re: Haiti document of comments

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sat May 27 12:39:36 CDT 2017

I just read a narrative of charcoal-making in the hills north of Mumbai
about a hundred years ago. Roland's observations held even there back then.

At the time, charcoal was the cooking fuel for most of Mumbai dwellers,
though kerosene had come into use. (Mumbai proper was electrified by then
though its current suburbs might have used kerosene for lighting.)

In this narrative - originally in Gujarati, now in Hindi; I could translate
it into English - the charcoal-makers then were forest people who had
tinkered with various means of making charcoal - types of wood, width and
depth of the hole in the ground, material to cover it with.

An upper-caste trading class not only gave a very low price to the
producers of charcoal, but managed to cheat them by overpricing the city
goods for which they were the only sellers to the forest people. Later came
claiming the lands in their own name and getting legal title by hook or by
crook.

>From what I remember of charcoal tales in my part of India, essentially the
state (government) did the same things as those smart traders. Forests
became much more lucrative as sources of charcoal as cities expanded - from
the mid-1800s to the mid-1900s when kerosene cooking spread in Gujarat
cities - whence forest departments claimed the traditional lands of forest
dwellers as public property.

Of course, timber was the other forest product whose market boomed with
urbanization. There were/are stumpage fees and all kinds of quotas,
restrictions, which were the natural excuses for bribery.

Physicists doing exajoules computations to save climate don't know a thing
about the social relations of production of biomass for fuel. The neglect
of the reality of social lives - as of cooking itself - is an intellectual
crime.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(India +91) 909 995 2080