[Stoves] Randomized Trial of Interventions to Improve Childhood Asthma in Homes with Wood-burning Stoves

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 12:00:53 CDT 2017

Crispin:

Sorry to say, such studies produce nothing of value in design and promotion
of household cookstoves for the masses in the developing countries.

Just because something gets published in EHP on "rural areas of Montana,
Idaho, and Alaska, where residential wood combustion is a major source of
ambient and indoor PM2:5 and the primary source of home heating during
cold-temperature periods" and pays homage to Kirk Smith doesn't make it
worth giving a dime for it. Fortunately this was free.

I was impressed by the description of tools for "two, 48-h observation
periods during each of two winter periods, before and after intervention".
Seems like this kind of stuff is acceptable in "epidemiology" studies in
US. I kept scratching my head as I read the conclusion - "This trial was
conducted across several rural communities in three states, but translation
of these findings to other settings with similarly exposed child asthma
populations would require further study and inquiry into the challenges
associated with dissemination of in-home PM reduction strategies."

As an asthma sufferer, I don't see just what difference such studies would
make when to whom. This was said to be the first RCT. In recent years, a
lot of economic policy research is marketed in the name of  "first RCT on
this subject. Why, there is this piece by a trio at Harvard-MIT-Chicago
(now) about an RCT on "improved cookstoves" in Odisha, India published as
an MIT e-con department Working Paper a little over five years ago. I think
we should have Cecil get some money to do an RCT on rich theorists of
stoves and health.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found any associational epidemiology study
that has taught me anything but how poor rich science is.

Nikhil