[Stoves] TLUD progress in West Bengal .... was Re: Declaration about Woodgas

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 15 12:13:06 CST 2017

Crispin,

Sorry for the week's delay in responding.  See below:

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 11/8/2017 8:42 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

> Dear Paul
>
> That is very encouraging news about the project. I am happy to hear
> sales are 3000 per month. Do you have an expected working life for the
> stove?  What parts fail first?

In the pilot project in Deganga, the earliest stoves have completed over
4 years of virtually daily usage (with annual confirmations by the
carbon credit verifiers).   This is with maintenance and repairs.   The
major parts have many years of life ahead of them. The repairs are on
the grate and on the fuel chamber (innermost cylinder).   The project
purchases the produced charcoal, so the users are quite good at dumping
out the char at the end of the pyrolysis stage, thereby helping protect
the grate and lower sidewalls.

The fuel cylinder has a "sacrificial cylinder" that is inside the main
wall of the fuel cylinder.   When it is showing stress, it is removed
(one screw) and inverted so that the less-stressed upper portion becomes
the bottom area.  I am asking the project implementer (MB) about the
frequency of the repair work.  The cylinders are produced with seam
welding of stainless steel sheets. Look good and hold up well.

> Are you aware of any production issues such as quality control as the
> numbers get larger?

The stoves are assembled at one location (with quality supervision) from
components from 5 different suppliers whose components are clearly
comparable with each shipment.   There is surplus production capacity in
the Kolkata area to greatly expand the number of pieces of each component.

> I believe this project needs to be written up in a way that provides
> an analysis of the conditions that must be in place to go forward.
> Having one working example is always 10 times better than talking up
> the first one.

I agree.  Just need to find the time to do the write-up.   I hope to do
it before ETHOS.   By January 2018 the project will be passing 50,000
stoves in use, and (I anticipate) that the number of stoves per month
will be over 4000, with new expansions of the project coming on-line as
fast as funding will allow.   (I will discuss funding issues in a later
message.)

Paul