[Stoves] Help! Are there insulated biogas stoves?

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 13:36:34 CST 2017

Dear Dr. Karve, Ron:

A dumb question: if the purpose of insulation is heat retention, would it
help to create a class of heat retention and/or heat transfer options
separate from stove types as such?

Heating water for bathing and laundry is one thing. I had wood- and
charcoal "samovars" with an exhaust in the middle when I was growing up. I
have also seen samovars in Afghanistan and probably Mongolia.

Smaller-scale samovars or tiffins with insulation keep the food warm and
save energy otherwise needed to re-heat the food.

Enameled cast-iron cooking pots got me thinking last night - for some types
of cooking, are they more energy-efficient (ignoring the energy in making
cast iron and enameling it)?

Another, far out, idea of energy storage is dried cooked foods, whether
dried by solar/wind, or hot gases, or some other means.

For heat transfer, I think there was some discussion here a few months ago
about steam, fuel- or solar-based.

The overall point may well be that considering the diversity of cooking and
water heating needs, we must stop boiling water or any "standard" stove
performance protocols based on metrics that are irrelevant to cooks.

Inasmuch as the distinction between cooking, water heating, and stove
heating stoves is blurry - many cookstoves serve space warming purpose
needed (i.e., in wintry weather) - some matrix of fuel quality, stove,
utensil type, insulation, heat transfer may help classify stoves better
than what Paul found in the World Bank report a couple of  years ago.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*