[Stoves] Air pollution in cities

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 08:07:48 CST 2017

Andrew:

>From what I remember of that area, municipal leaf collection around Entebbe
is unviable. Too leafy. On the other hand, a char and/or briquetting
enterprise could find a ready market in Kampala.

The problem in Indian contexts is that urban leaf waste will not find ready
fuel market for households in rural areas. The logistics and marketing
costs are too high. But in combination with crop wastes and some
regulatory/subsidy schemes, such fuel products can surely improve brick
kilns, which are smack between urban and rural geographies and are hugely
polluting.

I generally hold that the future of biomass thermal energy is not in stoves
alone but in fuels and not in households but in industry and commerce. Of
course there are exceptions, and to want to help the poor save fuel and/or
avoid indoor pollution exposures are noble ideals. Even so, perhaps biomass
briquettes in Kampala, combined with more efficient char/briquette stoves,
can help UK reduce its own pollution.

As in this story today from your Daily Mail - Clean cookstoves in Ghana to
help UK pollution battle
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-5099255/Clean-cookstoves-Ghana-help-UK-pollution-battle.html#ixzz4yyq6HOGU>
.

Nikhil