[Stoves] (no subject)

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:23:28 CST 2017

Anil:

Do you know Goklany? I wonder if this is someone I knew eons ago.

Anyway, he needs to read up the GBD methodology and in particular the WHO
link I posted a couple of days ago to estimating BOD from HAP.

He is on the wrong track asking, "Are aggregate data on life expectancy
consistent with such claims?"

There are only aggregate ESTIMATE of life expectancy at various ages by
cohort (a hugely political issue) and in turn developed from something
called Life Tables.

If you ask WHO and public health folks how Life Tables are developed, there
are stories about that too. Read up WHO report on Causes of Death, Jan 2017.

Much of his analysis after that is the same problem as with the claims he
is trying to dissect - associations are associations, attributions depend
on methods and allocation, and above all, these are population (or cohort)
level indicators (life expectancy or pollution in the way he chooses to
describe). His claims don't stand up to scrutiny either; he simply does not
understand.

Then he writes "Finally, some may argue that while PM2.5 may not reduce
life expectancy, it may actually make the population sicker. But this
argument fails scrutiny."

He fails there too - mixing apples and oranges. Yes, he finally recognizes
his error in part - "Life expectancy is based on data on real births and
real deaths, whereas the mortality effects of PM2.5 are based on
“statistical” deaths or, to use a term currently in vogue, “fake”
deaths.[9] "

This is outrageous. "Statistical deaths" are not "fake deaths". The man is
simply ignorant, buying the rightwing ideology that seeks to attack the
leftwing environmentalism. The Wikipedia description of him shows that he
is likely to be a rightwing hack.

Nikhil