[Stoves] Radical ideas from Paul and Philip {re: stoves and credits again}

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Oct 2 10:58:05 CDT 2017

Dear All

“Kenya loses 7,000 acres of woodland to cooking;”
I presume the author means annual net loss of tree cover.

So, Kenya is covered in pretty good growing land, What is the government doing to ensure the security of supply of energy to the biomass burning sector? Any national energy policy document has a section in it called “Security of Supply” and is usually filled with text about stores of gasoline and oil products. I believe (without good documentation) that Swaziland was the first country to include biomass for domestic consumption in the Green Paper and White Paper version of their national energy strategy.

7000 acres of woodland is nothing for a country the size and wealth of Kenya. What are they doing about it? Rwanda, a tiny and heavily populated country, manages to grow all their biomass fuel requirements, what’s up with Kenya? It is 22 times the size and has only 3.8 times the population.

Clearly the loss of forest cover for the energy needs of domestic consumers is caused by a policy failure, not a lack of resources or opportunity.

The selling point for the Swaziland policy was that 77% of the population relied on biomass for their energy needs. The original draft had not a single mention of this in terms of ‘doing something’ to ensure that biomass will continue to be available indefinitely.

In British Columbia there is a long standing rule that if you cut a tree for some commercial use you have to plant three more. Thus, while it may look as if they are ‘clear cutting the forest’ in fact they are farming vast areas on a 70 year cycle. The fact that is it longer than a human working cycle is immaterial.

Trees grow very well in Kenya. In the very dry areas Dr St Barbe Baker recommended the planting of peach trees which are not only useful for food, they provide very good quality firewood. It was his opinion that the desert in the NW could be continuously pushed back by planting peach trees on the margin. They are extremely heat resistance and drought resistant too (there is a drought cycle in that region tied to the Hadley Cells and how they evolve cyclically).

As Nikhil points out, if there is no shortage of free fuel, fuel efficiency is not necessarily an issue. They could even make charcoal and ship it to Rwanda or South Sudan.