[Stoves] About LPG and India. Re: [stove] Ujjwala explained

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Oct 3 11:50:39 CDT 2017

A.D.

	I know you have this one, but others might find this site informative:   http://www.petroldieselprice.com/lp69/lpg-gas-cylinder-price-in-Mumbai-Gr-Bombay <http://www.petroldieselprice.com/lp69/lpg-gas-cylinder-price-in-Mumbai-Gr-Bombay>
The pertinent lines show for Mumbai:

	The number that pops out is the big reduction in the subsidy in the past two months (bottom line).  How has this gone over?  The poor are now paying 485/14.2 = 34.5 Rs/kg, vs formerly  60/14.2 = 4.22 Rs/kg.

	I see Mumbai’s August price was the only one that was so low - so perhaps the jump there was just delayed and all of India has had this huge change recently?

	My main question is this:  if a poor family sells its cylinder (for 485.50 Rs - or more/less?), how are future “balance credits to their bank account” handled as that container is refilled?  Does the purchaser of the container only gain the 90.5 Rs benefit one time?  Can the poor buy low and sell high any number of times?

	But I also can’t find a way to justify your 90 Rs/kg ($1.40) cost per kg (see my 34.5 Rs/kg above - with the unsubsidized numbers less than 20% higher).  These numbers today from the internet are less than half as high.

	If you could also supply recent numbers for the cost of charcoal,  I think we can help Paul out for his upcoming trip to Delhi.  It would appear that LPG might be a better buy than charcoal - on a per MJ basis?  This last assuming char should be at least 3 to 4 times more costly than wood per kg.

Ron