[Stoves] Understanding what TLUD means.... was Re: stoves and credits again

Jaakko Saastamoinen Jaakko.Saastamoinen at lut.fi
Thu Oct 5 15:03:06 CDT 2017

Dear Ron and the list,

my replies to Ron’s questions are below. This is off-topic and off-TLUD and I answer shortly.

my research has recently focused on fluidized bed combustion using mixture of oxygen and carbon dioxide (to allow CO2 removal from flue gases). I have retired but still a docent in Lappeenranta University of Technology.
                          [RWL0:    Should/could this apply as well to pyrolysis rather than combustion?    This would greatly help sell biochar - if economic.

It could be applied to pyrolysis by hot flue gases. The wood particles lose weight during drying and pyrolysis, and the lighter particles char are entrained from the bed by the gas flow and collected. The pyrolysis gases are then combusted with a mixture of oxygen and carbon dioxide instead of air (making CO2 flue gases). Then carbon would be capture both in the char and by CO2 removal from flue gases and only H2O would be released. This requires production of oxygen, which has an energy penalty. Alternative ways are to use chemical looping combustion or to separate CO2 from flue gases oxygen by calcium looping reactors. Professor Hatano was a pioneer in the first concept and professor Shimizu in the second one. I have been a visiting researcher some months in their institutes. But, these technologies are reasonable only in large scale

In old times in Finland corn was cultivated on burned forest land due better fertility. It is much similar to Terra preta. From Google with word “kaskenpoltto” one can find pictures. See an artist’s view on thishttps://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiedosto:Raatajat_rahanalaiset.JPG . I think this girl would had been happier if TLUD had already been invented. Ash from boilers contain also some char as unburned and it is well-known that it is a good fertilizer to increase the forest growth.
                          [RWL2:   It would be interesting to hear more on why the picture title is “Raiders (or Hunters) of Money”.   Meant to be derogatory?   Would “biohilli” be similarly interpreted (positively or negatively) if we were describing slash and char rather than slash and burn??

The original title is in Finnish ”Raataja rahanalainen”. It means a means a person working very hard to earn living. The word “Raataja” means a person working very hard in Finnish and in the dialect of Finnish tribe (Savonians) in the region of Savo (Savonia) it means exactly a “slash and burn farmer”. This painting is considered to be social statement speaking out about the hard life of labor. The farmers were employed and the salary was paid as corn. In the case of loss of crop due to bad summer weather, they got no salary. The name of the paining originates from the Finnish national epos “Kalevala”.

                          RWL3:  Most biochar people I talk to would not call the char (or torrified) material to replace fossil coal as biochar.  Is there a distinction in Finland on that nomenclature?   Any power generation in Finland (or planned) of bio-electricity with biochar as a co-product?

I agree that it better to use expression wood char instead of biochar, when char is used for energy production.

I think there is no power generation with biochar as byproduct at the moment in Finland, but if profitable markets arise for biochar, existing plants could be converted to produce biochar as a byproduct. There is a developing technology, which is now topical in Finland, where char is produced as a byproduct (Onarheim, K., Lehto, J. and Solantausta, Y., Technoeconomic Assessment of a Fast Pyrolysis Bio-oil Production Process Integrated to a Fluidized Bed, Energy & Fuels, 2015, 29, 5885−5893 ). In this concept, combined heat and power is produced, but co-production of biochar in large scale is also possible.

 Jaakko