[Stoves] Women's empowerment

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:48:32 CDT 2017

Xavier:

Please avoid the single-mindedness of activists of one solution.

I happen to know that even within a family, one daughter may be subjected
to more kitchen chores - cooking and cleaning up - than another and may
thus fall behind in educational achievement.

So it is not contraceptives and abortion options versus education versus
cleaner fuels. There is a market for all, and some are easier to capture
with external donor finance, some not.

Contexts determine priorities for governments in terms of spending money,
after all tax-payers' money, of their own countries or of other countries.
Even Gates Foundation is partly financed by the tax-payer (via tax
exemptions).

I reiterate - the challenge for biomass stoves community is to get the
"service standard" and "objectives" right, and do so as tailored to
contexts. Only by doing so they would answer Kirk Smith's challenge -
demonstrating implementation capacity.

Lots of money is needed for that.

Nikhil

PS: Rachel Kyte was referring to a recent report that I have not yet posted
or written about. The billions aren't going to come from the LPG industry
or its favorite advocates.