[Stoves] Women's empowerment

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 05:30:25 CDT 2017

On 7 October 2017 at 01:48, Nikhil Desai <pienergy2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Xavier:
>
> Please avoid the single-mindedness of activists of one solution.
>
> I happen to know that even within a family, one daughter may be subjected to
> more kitchen chores - cooking and cleaning up - than another and may thus
> fall behind in educational achievement.
>
> So it is not contraceptives and abortion options versus education versus
> cleaner fuels. There is a market for all, and some are easier to capture
> with external donor finance, some not.

I hesitate to contribute to this thread as another male, why no ladies
contributing?

Nikhil it's not one solution, it's more that one improvement leads to
another e,g. if the family has more wealth then all daughters can be
educated,  wealthier educated women then are in a position to make a
choice on family size. Local economy having input from all of its
collective  intelligence instead of half is a massive positive
feedback.

Look at the work of the late Hans Rosling to see how it's wealth that
drives education and smaller families. Trouble is there is probably
not enough resources left available to poorer communities if they have
to pull themselves up by their bootlaces.

Andrew