[Stoves] Follow-up about clean biomass fuels

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Oct 8 20:05:41 CDT 2017

Dear Paul

You letter is OK, and takes us a step forward. In answer to the question:

“How can she, a prominent and supposedly well informed person, be so uninformed about the abilities of modern advanced cookstoves that use wood and other dry biomass?    She needs to be better informed.”

I propose that she needs to be ‘better advised’. I doubt most people involved in policy are given much leeway about what to promote.

This is a very practical matter: things need to be funded and funds are allocated on the bases of who can scream ‘”Wolf” the loudest and most urgently.  Unlike the Boy and the Wolf story, there is never a time when crying “Wolf!” fails to work. There is always another village in which it works.

The essential challenge of your letter is that it demands the opportunities and technologies and combinations thereof be treated in a balanced, rational and system-wide manner. That is not happening, not to say that it couldn’t. It just doesn’t.

Look how far the false narratives have done down their respective rabbit holes: catastrophic climate change, oil running out in 5 years, the entire ocean is dying, all the forests are disappearing, everyone in a wood burning kitchen is going to be killed by wood smoke. Coal smoke will kill them five times over.  I read just this morning is a debunking piece that “indoor air smoke kills 5 million people per year and causes all manner of intestinal diseases”. Even the de-bunkers are conned by the 4.2m premature death quote, and inflate it for rounding off neatly.

There is a paper out just now that uses aDALY calculations! I think that is a first. They claim to avoid for particular individuals, a national statistical attribution by leaping (with faith) into the stove replacement business. Of course it promotes gas. Clean combustion doesn’t exist.

So you have to be very practical in your examples: demonstrate clean burning for stoves that people want to use. That is step number one. If you tie it to soil and char and shipping lumps around, you are definitely endangering the changes of your first goal. A fuel-poor city could simply ban the practice because it will require additional cutting of trees or biomass, and direct that all char be directed to the fuels market. Then you are dead, policy-wise.

If you want to create some gasifiers that are able to burn the whole fuel to demonstrate a dramatic reduction in consumption while simultaneously reducing indoor air PM to a small % of its former value, I can help you. You don’t need help with the char-making variety. There are choices.

There is nothing wrong with char-making then char-burning – both are very clean processes is a wide set of circumstances. You have identified materials problems with burning char. You have issues with air control switching from char making to char burning. I identified the ‘paper burning’ air vent solution which you thought was a great idea at the time but didn’t implement. Perhaps taking a broader view of what the market needs, then touting char-burying as a option will get you further faster. People’s heads are not in a system-wide transformative all-at-one-time space.

Ruling out, as you do right at the beginning, coal burning in TLUD’s obviously limits your access to hundreds of millions of homes because that is what people use for cooking. Many homes use multiple fuels, actually. A successful model in Kyrgyzstan past year was a three-fuel stove that has different setting for different fuels. Coal is only used for space heating intermittently on very cold nights (-30).  That is what people want to buy and use. Most people don’t want ‘lessons’, they want ‘solutions’.

So…provide some.

Supportively
Crispin