[Stoves] Follow-up about clean biomass fuels

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 9 19:54:39 CDT 2017

Nikhil, Ron, Crispin and others,

On 10/9/2017 12:20 PM, Nikhil Desai wrote:
> Paul:
>
> I think a "Declaration of Clean Cooking with Wood" is a great idea.
Change that to   "Declaration  of Clean Cooking with Woodgas" . My goal
is that the TLUD stoves with wood fuel are fairly recognized as being
worthy of being among the Modern Advanced Clean Cooking Soluton (MACCS),
as in the "Classification...." that is based on GACC and ESMAP
determinations.

I am not inclined to do what you advocate in your next sentence:
> A broader, more emphatic claim needs to be made that improving
> combustion of solid fuels is possible, has a long history, just that
> adapting the principles to particular contexts takes time and that
> there are many other possibilities for biomass energy for small-scale
> thermal applications - BESSTA?
Too many variables.   Too many conflicting claims.   Too many reasons
why direct burning of solids (in contrast to the TLUD burning of GASES
FROM SOLIDS) has not been fruitful.

I do not try to knock any other biomass stoves (the "ICS" devices) from
being considered, but I cannnot bring along in some overly broad
declaration all of the ICS devices and their decades of baggage.  But we
(the  solid dry biomass fuels users) need to have at least ONE that is
accepted, to stop the blanket rejection of ALL wood and other dry
biomass fuel.   And that one with the best chances is the TLUD technology.

In the end, what will count is when there are actual success stories of
major acceptance of TLUD (or some other biomass-fueled) stoves. And that
is happening NOW in West Bengal, and will be reported at the GACC.
Will anybody recognize such accomplishments?   I do  not know.   But a
"Declaration....." can  have many signatures, but it would have minimal
impact if the "leadership" continues to ignore the solid results IN
ACTUAL HOUSEHOLDS.

In contrast to success in the field, results like a declaration ON PAPER
are easily ignored, just like any paper that declares Tier 4 results.

I am busy with other preparations for the GACC Forum.   I will assist if
someone else decides to make a "Declaration..."