[Stoves] Follow-up about clean biomass fuels

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 20:56:21 CDT 2017

Paul:

This even better - "Declaration  of Clean Cooking with Woodgas".

It risks being confused with some old images of gasifiers, but that is ok.
Those who are old enough to remember all that have to re-learn. And you
carry credibility youngsters should respect - we are talking here of the
simple truth (as you put it some time ago), "Burn the gases that are
otherwise PICs and you don't have PICs. Duh!!"

Do you have a video of the combustion chamber of a TLUD stove? I imagine it
might look like the furnace of a modern coal-fired power plant. (The only
one I have seen was completed 40 years ago and I saw around 1990.)

And Kirk Smith, who wrote a year or so ago that at the margin, air
pollution control gains in China are unlikely to come from coal power but
from the small-scale coal users, would probably agree that burning off PICs
is the name of the game, for biomass as well.

You floated the "Declaration" idea. I agree it can be easily ignored, what
with GACC, SE4All, WHO all pushing for Tier 4 LPG and electric stoves, and
TC-285 probably going in the same direction.

But a "Declaration" is taking a stand on principle. Not for collecting
signatures alone, though that might help.

Maybe a draft "Declaration of Principles to advance Clean Cooking with
Woodgas" could be a last page of your presentation? You can even present it
with a question mark as I just did.

The idea is simply that "the blanket rejection of ALL wood and other dry
biomass fuel" has to be rejected as an anti-poor academic junk by WHO.

Even if it seems fine and dandy now with, say the Indian LPG ambitions, and
the long-term future is with electricity (*), just because the "fracking
revolution" caused a "surfeit" of LPG in the world market does not mean
that even the 4-5 countries (Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana, Myanmar) in
one of the SE4All report, or 20 in the other SE4All report, can achieve
complete, irreversible transition to LPG (or electricity) in the next 13
years. It's not just the last mile but the last 500 miles of LPG delivery
that is in question for about a half of the 3 billion people we keep
hearing about.

GACC probably thinks its post-2020 existence depends on playing to the
elite gallery it has itself helped populate.

All that a "Declaration" would do is recognize that it takes money and
skills to create "actual success stories of major acceptance of TLUD (or
some other biomass-fueled) stoves." And that your vision is doing Deganga a
thousand times over.

Don't worry if someone like me carps that a thousand Degangas would still
be a drop in the bucket. Such people have to be ignored.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*