[Stoves] GACC promises and premises: looking back to 2010

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 00:05:02 CDT 2017

Tom:

I only said I became a fan of GACC CEO. She has a phenomenal stage
presence. Reminded me of Hazel O'Leary.

I was not and am not a fan of GACC; I still think it's just a money-making
adventure of UN Foundation, which has no competence for such matters and
cannot be trusted with public money.

Yes, I did insult GACC CEO. That's par for the course for Washington; this
is a political town.

Nothing personal. (* below) I will profusely apologize to her if she would
accept my apology but not the condition of my agreement.

When I began again over a year ago, Xavier had posed a query from some
UNHCR official - "What would it take to design a cookstove?" or something
like that. I asked to what objective and for which service standard. I
still don't have an answer. Do you? Does anybody here or at GACC? At EPA?

Then I saw the notice of a Winrock webinar with Michael Johnson of BAMG and
raised some questions, challenging the EPA assumptions of equitoxicity and
the Burnett et al. (2014) IER functions.

Johnson himself readily admitted in the webinar that he had to make heroic
assumptions. I doubt if anybody else here paid attention to him. Burnett et
al. (2014) themselves admitted the limitations of their assumptions, and as
did Kirk Smith et al. (2014) in a paper I haven't yet quoted from.

I don't mind the presumptions about my ignorance; may I please learn just
what you or anybody else finds worth disagreeing with me on and on what
basis of facts or logic?

After all, GACC CEO had said (I am writing from memory) that the evidence
for many claims was weak. Public honesty carries some weight in this town.

++++

Other than that, I have no disagreements with you. I do not know of Global
Environment Fund other than that it has a board near Friendship Heights
Metro station in Bethesda; drove by it but never bothered till a minute
ago. It's a private equity fund manager. If it has something to do with
cookstoves, it might be like Goldman Sachs and C-Quest Capital. I am not
interested unless there is public money is at stake - directly or
indirectly. Private people can mutually agree to do anything they wish.

Nor do I grudge that " For the last 15 years PCIA and GACC have been
instrumental in providing opportunities for the stoves community to meet
and exchange experiences."

I will let you know what Nikhil Patel is up to. This Nikhil can only argue
for moving money, and cares for the use of public money and honesty in
public life. He doesn't care about "stove development" per se; he only asks
how and when "better biomass stoves" will be found useful by a billion
women and create "Healthier Human Environments".

It's not as if a couple of billion people have not died in the last 50
years having inhaled HAP in their childhoods. The cite-o-logy of

Nikhil
------------------

* PS: An aside to Tom and north Americans: I enjoyed listening to Newt
Gingrich (former Speaker of the House ) on C-Span Munk Debate on American
Democracy <http://munkdebates.com/livestream> Thursday night debating the
proposition "Be it resolved, American democracy is in its worst crisis in a
generation and Donald J. Trump is to blame…"

In the video at 1:22:12, Kim Strassel of the WSJ says, "Of course, there
are some things I wish he (Donald Trump) wouldn't say every single day.
...we do, on nearly a daily basis, point out some of the things that he
(Donald Trump) does which, we think, make him a real poopoohead."

Then Newt says at 1:24:00, "Let me just suggest here, that, had they worded
the proposal for the debate differently, it would have been impossible for
us to have any arguments. If they had said that, to use your six-year old's
term, that Donald Trump is a poopoohead and says some really weird things
sometimes, it would've been tough..  If the debate topic had been,
'Resolved, Donald Trump has some edges and they are a little strange, I
would have refused to come up here, I'd've said, 'Are you crazy?" .. "

Although the debate was in Toronto, the debaters are Washington folks in
one way or another. Kim and Newt can call The Donald what they feel like. I
learnt that from my teacher Bob Solow more than 40 years ago, when he
started a discussion with, "If Jerry Ford (then President) wasn't such an
idiot... "

You or anybody - the GACC CEO or UNF President - may call me anything in
public. Please just don't say it in private.

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*