[Stoves] Aprovecho's ISO certificates

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Oct 17 16:17:27 CDT 2017

Dear Xavier

The ISO is not a testing organisation and does not issue certificates. No one can issue an 'ISO Certificate' because they don't exist.

The ISO does not check the validity of certificates issued by anyone. Anyone can claim to be following any protocol they like. What is at issue is if the organisation is able to give trustworthy results. That's why labs get certified like UL etc so people believe them.

I think Tom Miles can comment on how a lab gets certified for a particular test like an EPA stove test. ‎

The only available facts are that there is a Draft ISO standard available (now, not before). The LEMS hood system (which some labs use) was analysed by Berkeley and said to be able to rate stoves as high as 'tier 3.5'. That study is now three years old.

Hello everyone,

I am quite amazed that the Aprovecho is still claiming on its website to be able to deliver « ISO certificates » to clients who pay 3000 USD for a testing session.
http://aprovecho.org/portfolio-item/stove-testing/

Is there such thing as an ISO certificate when there exist no ISO standards for cookstoves?

To me, there are only three explanations possible:

·         either the Aprovecho knows something we don’t

·         either it is a fraudulent claim

·         either it is a big mistake

I might be missing something, anyone can shed a light?

I put Dean Still in copy as well, Dean, maybe you can clarify that?

Best,

Xavier

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>      Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>